I try my best to live in the moment, buuuut I will admit I spend most of winter dreaming of summer. That’s just because I am 1000% a summer lovin’, coconut dreamin’ island girl at heart. I love being outside, exploring this concrete jungle, and going off on spontaneous weekend trips. I feel the most true to myself when I’m outside in nature, feeling hugged by the sunshine. 🙂
Now, that summer is finally creepin’ in, I want to be ready with open arms. In the past, I wasn’t always “in the know” when it came to summer activities in my city. I let time slip away from me, and I didn’t get to fit in everything that I’d dreamt up all winter. This year, I want it to be different. I’m writing this for myself as much as I am writing this for you. Let’s make the most out of our summer.
To start, there are 2 things to keep in mind:
First… Date Night with Google
Dedicate a few hours in the upcoming week to research all of the happenings in your city this summer. Perhaps its live music, movies in the park, outdoor yoga, hiking meetups… Find anything that interests you and bookmark it.
Second… Add it to the Calendar
Google Calendars are the easiest way for me to personally manage my time. I like to create events in the calendar and share it with friends, so they can also add it to theirs. My boyfriend and I have a shared calendar, and it helps us keep up with friends coming to town or when one of us will be away. Remember: out of sight out of mind, so don’t forget to schedule in the fun.
7 Tips to Make the Most Out of Your Summer
1. MAKE A SUMMER BUCKET LIST // I loooove making lists. You will see me with to-do lists, grocery lists, travel lists, future dog name lists… whatever, you know how it is. Write down all of the things that interest you this summer and start crossing it off like a boss.
2. GO DANCING // You say you’re not into dancing, eh? Well, I’m not convinced. Maybe the club scene isn’t your thing (it’s not mine either), but there are tons of cool places with live music that might interest you. Find a 90s bar! Dance like a fool, and let off some steam.
3. SPLURGE ON GOOD FOOD // I typically try to spend no more than $10-$15 on food, but there are some pretty cool places in my neighborhood I’m dying to try with rooftops and gardens. It’s perfectly fine to treat yourself. Just make sure to budget for it or stop buying those $10 smoothies (note to self).
4. BIKE ALL DAY (if applicable) // There is much to be discovered when you are traveling on wheels instead of on foot. In New York, there are so many nooks and crannies I wouldn’t normally spend the time to walk down, but if I’m riding my bike then I’m more open to discover the hidden gems.
5. MORE PARK DAYS // …Because you can never have enough park days. Bring a blanket and a book and just enjoy the peace. Close your eyes, meditate, do a little yoga…
6. GET OUTTA TOWN // If you aren’t able to go on a full vacation this summer, you can certainly escape for a few weekend trips! Block out the weekends you think could work for a spontaneous getaway. Try to combine it with a holiday like Memorial Day or Fourth of July, so you can take advantage of the free day off.
7. TAKE CARE // Drink lots of agua and take care of your skin. Wear sunscreen, lather on the coconut oil, wear a hat, and eat the rainbow to keep that natural glow with your new summer tan.
Whether you live in a big city or a small town, there are definitely ways to experience the new, have fun with the old, and welcome the unexpected. Hope everyone has an amazing week ahead!
Peace, love and coconuts,